Saturday, April 5, 2014

Walking Down Memory Lane

 One of my favorite childhood memories is walking in the garden with my "Godfather. My Godfather lived in a small town outside of Denver; every summer for as long as I an remember he would come for me.
 
I would rise bright and early, just so I could take a walk with my Godfather, in his garden. He would tell me about the plants and what he was growing. In one row would be sweet peas; another row  would hold the promise of red ripe tomatoes another held green onions poking out of the ground.
 
Golden sweet corn embraced in green leaves, the stalks would reach for the sky. Just like the sunflowers that grew along the fence. He would tell me about the deference between the two chili peppers that grew along side one another. One was a hot New Mexico pepper the other a mild sweet pepper. He would then say to me, be sure to wash your hands really good after touching that hot pepper and don't rub your eyes! 
 
It would only take one time of not listening and you would know why you didn't rub your eyes after handling a hot pepper. (Oweie) I especially loved the smell of the warm earth in the morning,and the coolness of the morning air against my cheeks. 
 
I can still hear the sounds of a time gone by, the birds chirping in a nearby tree, the cow mooing in a distant field; the clucking of the chickens looking for their morning feed. As I walk down memory lane I find myself missing that simple time, walking with a man who taught a city girl the importance of keeping "God first! 
 
During our walks I was learning more than the names of plants in a garden; I was learning to walk with "Christ before I knew Him" it wasn't until now that I am penning this memory that I realized how my Godfather was very instrumental in my walk with "Christ."

We all have fond memories from a time gone by; some are good while others we would much rather leave in the past where they belong. Yet this is the very tool that the adversary uses to bend us to his will. He will bring up the past and torture you with the things that are painful just to keep you from your destiny.
 
If you are filled with hurt you can't see the goodness that "God our Father has in store for us. No hurt and painful memories will sit in the front of your memories to keep you from moving forward. The battle ground is with in our own minds.

In Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of "God. (KV)

What is acceptable to "God is not for us to dwell thins of the past, but rather to focus on the good things we have been blessed with. If you focus on the old hurtful memories you can't move forward, and if you don't move forward you won't grow to be the best flower in the garden.

We all have done things in our life time that we are no proud of; but here's the biggie if "God is not dwelling on it, why are we? "God is not throwing your past in your face! So don't let the master of deception deceive  you into thinking that "God is punishing you for past mistakes!

And that is the reason you have not been blessed with that promotion or house or what ever you ave been longing for. Its all a lie! "God is not keeping you from moving forward but rather the guilt that we feel is what keeps us from moving forward to claim  our reward.

Just like the peppers in my "Godfather's garden if you don't wash your hands after handling them you will get burned! Let go of the person you use to be; and start focusing on the person you want to be! Its ok to tiptoe through memory lane just as long as you don't stay in stinks ville! 

Memories of days' gone by longing for a simpler time; stopping along the way to smell the rose's; there is no better way to get to know the real you that lies underneath; just waiting to be let out. Reach for your golden sunbeam let the blue skies embrace you. See how much further you will climb once you let go of the stink weeds of the past!

Psalm 37:23  The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and He delighteth in his way.  (KV)


I am but a rose in "God's hands" I am a work in progress, we are working on me. Once I am done I will be a masterpiece,until then I will remain on "God's work bench...................................................................................................................






All Rights Reserved:
Writer: Victoria E. Miera
Photo: From my personal album:
 
 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment