Monday, April 7, 2014

Willing To Give

As a young girl I wanted to either be a nurse or a nun  ( laughs to self). As the years went by I changed my mind a couple of thousand times, as most kids do. Yet I still had the burning desire to help those in need.

I went from waiting tables to managing a small steak house, to putting myself through dental assisting school. All worth while trades but they didn't quench the need burning within me to do more for my fellow man.

I told myself being a dental assistant was like being a nurse ( chuckles) that was farthest from the truth! Oh the things we tell ourselves!After my marriage fell apart and my last child was born; I decided to move closer to my family.

Waiting tables was the only legal way I knew how to make a quick buck! I did this for a while until I landed a nice comfy job in a dental office. My little family and I moved to a small town  thirty miles outside of Denver; where I waited tables yet again until the manager made me so mad that I walked out on him! I never said I was the brightest crayon in the box!

I thought ok you're so smart now what are you going to do? With four small kids at home and I decide to let my temper get the best of me Geez Louise! It was then that I found an add in the local paper it read get paid as you learn to care for the elderly! As it turned out the next class forming was that very Monday so off to register and the rest is history as the saying goes.

I just celebrated eighteen years in healthcare,wow  this gig has lasted longer than my marriage! That's another story I'll save for another time. You can imagine I have cared for well over thousand's of clients, and I have dealt with more personalities than Cybil!

My career has taken me through many door's in many areas of health care; it was the best decision I ever made when I moved to a small  town and walked out of one job to find the desire of my heart!

Over the past few years I changed employment, in each of these establishments I have found a lack of compassion coming from the very folks who made healthcare their chosen career path! I find it very disturbing to say the least! I often ask myself if perhaps it is I who expect more from my co-hearts than they are willing to give!

I once read somewhere that when you go off to work, work as if you are working for the "Lord" give it your all, do an honest day's work earn an honest day's pay; then when you lay down at the end of the day; you can rest assured that you have earned an honest dollar.

In the scriptures "Jesus gave the parable of the good Samaritan: "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho when he fell into the hands of robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. So too a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan, as he traveled , came where the man was; and when he saw him he took pity on him. He went to him and bandaged his wounds; pouring on oil and wine.Then he put the man on his own donkey took him to an inn and took care of him. The next day he took  out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper."Look after him he said and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have. (Luke 10:25-37)






When we care for our sick brother's and sisters in "Christ we are taking care of one of "God's precious children. Caring for the sick is an art a gift not all are called and not all are given this talent. If you happen to have this talent; give from the heart give the best care you possibly can.

Don't walk on the other side of the road; stop and lend a helping hand; after all it just might be an angel testing you! We all need to be cared for, one day  we may have the need of a good Samaritan; who is willing to stop along the road to bandage our wounds.




I am but a rose in His hands; a work in progress "God and I are working on me, when we are through I will be a masterpiece a work of art! Until then I shall remain on His work bench....................................................................................................................





All Rights Reserved:
Writer: Victoria E. Miera
Photo's courtesy of: Photobox.com





 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment